Cabbage is so versatile and it absorbs all the delicious juicy flavors of this meaty casserole. Honestly, cabbage doesn’t get used as much as I think it should.
It contains very low calories and very little carbohydrates, which make it the perfect vessel for many recipes, especially this keto cabbage roll casserole.
These rolls taste like lasagna in a way you won’t believe. As a lasagna lover, I was looking to recreate the Italian flavors without all the carbs and calories. And let me tell you, I have found the perfect low carb replacement for lasagna!
Keto Cabbage Roll Casserole Ingredients:
Why mozzarella cheese and not ricotta?
Ricotta has more carbs than you may think. If you are not as strict with your carb count then you could also add ricotta to the inside of your keto cabbage roll casserole as well.
You can also see that I used mozzarella cheese sticks to stuff the cabbage, this is because I find it’s less messy when rolling the cabbage rolls. Although, shredded mozzarella for the inside and outside of the casserole works just as well.
You must cut the stem of the cabbage off before putting it in boiling water. We boil the cabbage whole because it makes it easier for us to remove the leaves intact for wrapping.
If you do not cut the stem before boiling, it will be hard to remove the leaves because the stem connection with the leaves doesn’t get soft enough. I made the mistake and spent way too much time taking those leaves out.
Why almond flour in the meat mixture?
Almond flour helps your keto cabbage roll casserole keep its beautiful shape. Once you cut into those rolls they should be able to stay firm and not collapse.
The cabbage is doing a great job of holding all those juices while its cooking and the meat will take the shape of the roll in the oven.
Salty recipes you might like:
Don’t forget to leave a comment and share your picture with me on Instagram @sweetketolife I love seeing your creations. Tag me!
Keto Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Frying Pan
- baking dish
- 1.3 lb ground beef
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp recaito cilantro mix
- 6 leaves cabbage
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup chopped onion or 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp oregano dried
- 1 tbsp basil dried
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- On a large frying pan, put olive oil and chopped onions. Let the onions sweat.
- Add garlic and stir the ingredients before adding the ground beef.
- After adding the ground beef you can add all the seasoning (dried oregano, dried basil, black pepper and salt) combine well.
- Add 1/2 cup of tomato sauce to the meat and combine. Then, turn off the heat and add 1/3 cup of almond flour and combine well.
- Now that you are done with the meat mixture, in a large pot where you can fit your entire cabbage, fill it halfway with water and bring to boil.
- Once it’s boiling, cut the stem off your cabbage and put your entire cabbage and cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Take it out of the pot and proceed to peel each leaf individually. Make sure there are no tears on the leaves.
- Prepare a deep baking dish with non stick spray or olive oil.
- Fill each cabbage leaf with meat mixture and mozzarella cheese. Place them in the baking dish and top them with 1/2 cup of tomato sauce and the rest of your mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350F plus 5 min broil.